The development marks a potential easing of tensions that had led to the suspension of several visa categories in recent months.
India’s assistant high commissioner in Sylhet, Aniruddha Das, reportedly confirmed that efforts are underway to resume all visa services that were previously halted, News18 reported citing bdnews24.
“Medical and double-entry visas are being issued now, and steps are under way to resume other categories, including travel visas,” Das reportedly said while speaking at the Sylhet District Press Club.
The diplomat also pledged full cooperation to strengthen bilateral engagement through smoother visa facilitation. He noted that India-Bangladesh relations are built on the “foundation of mutual respect and honour.”
Read more: Who is Nitai Roy Chowdhury? The lone Hindu minister in new Bangladesh govt
“The people of both countries will be the principal stakeholders of a stable, positive, constructive, long-term and mutually beneficial relationship,” Das said, adding that both nations “share the same outlook” and are keen to work together, as per bdnews24.
Visa suspensions amid political unrest
Indian visa centres in Bangladesh had suspended services following escalating tensions triggered by the death of student leader Sharif Osman Hadi in December 2025.
The incident led to widespread protests across Bangladesh, some of which included anti-India sentiment.
Relations were already fragile after the removal of former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, who fled to India on August 5, 2024, after a large-scale demonstrations.
In response to the deteriorating climate, Bangladesh imposed reciprocal restrictions in January, suspending most visa categories for Indian nationals except business and employment visas. The curbs were extended to Bangladeshi missions in Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai, as per News18.
First Published: Feb 20, 2026 12:01 PM IST

